time: 25-30 minutes / $4.50 per portion / best for: the day after
5 cm piece of ginger
1 clove of garlic
2 tablespoons low-salt soy sauce
3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
3 tablespoons sesame oil
1 cabbage (or Chinese cabbage)
500g fresh or frozen broccoli
250g medium egg noodles (for vegan option use soba, udon or rice noodles)
200g green beans
4 large free-range eggs (*for vegan sub silken or lightly fried firm tofu)
Hot chilli sauce, to serve
1. Peel the ginger and garlic and finely grate into a large bowl.
2. Add the soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil and a pinch of black pepper, then mix to make a dressing.
3. Trim and shred the cabbage and put it into a large pan of boiling salted water with the broccoli (cut into florets first, if using fresh) and noodles to cook for around 3 minutes, then add the mangetout for a final minute.
4. Drain it all well, then toss in the bowl of dressing.
5. Fry the eggs in a large non-stick frying pan on a medium heat with a lug of olive oil until cooked to your liking (I like mine with a runny yolk).
6. Divide the noodles between bowls, pop an egg on top of each one, and serve drizzled with chilli sauce for that all-important added kick.