Chicken and Kidney Bean Paella
time: 45 minutes / $3.70 per portion / best for: when you're feeling a little funky
2 cloves of garlic
½ a bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley , (15g)
1 can of kidney beans, rinsed and dried
2 free-range chicken thighs , skin off, bone out
1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
1 red pepper
1 tablespoon tomato purée
1 organic chicken stock cube
300 g paella rice or normal rice
100 g frozen peas
200 g frozen peeled cooked prawns , from sustainable sources (optional)
1. Peel and finely slice the garlic, peel and roughly chop the onion and carrot. Finely chop the parsley stalks, then roughly chicken thighs.
2. Put a lug of oil into a large lidded shallow casserole or paella pan on a medium heat, add the garlic, onion, carrot, parsley stalks, kidney beans, chicken and paprika, and fry for around 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
3. Deseed and chop the pepper, then add to the pan for a further 5 minutes.
4. Stir through the tomato purée and crumble in the stock cube, then add the rice and stir for a couple of minutes so it starts to suck up all that lovely flavour.
5. Pour in 750ml of boiling water and add a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Pop the lid on and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly from the outside in and from the inside out, and adding a splash of water if needed.
6. Stir in the peas and prawns, replace the lid, and cook for a further 5 minutes, or until hot through (optional).
7. Season to perfection, then chop the parsley leaves, scatter them over the paella, and serve with lemon wedges on the side for squeezing over.